So what if you can bend it? The 6 is still the best iPhone yet!

So we have had a few weeks to go the through the standard cycle.... Early adopter lineups over night, media hysteria, shortages, crazy secondary market prices, issues identified (it bends, iOS8, etc...) and then everything settles in.

Like many consumers, you may have waited out the cycle above and you are starting to think.... Is now the time to upgrade my phone? I was one of the early adopters, and I believe the answer is yes. The iOS 8 issues were annoying and the bending stories were definitely funny, but those distractions are in the rear-view. This product is a step forward.

First, the screen. It is beautiful. With the retina screen and the extra space, it feels like the perfect balance. Whether I am surfing, looking at or editing pictures, watching Archer (I should really broaden my horizons) or playing games, it looks great. There are certainly bigger screens out there (including the iPhone 6 plus), but this one feels so efficient.

As can be expected, the design is excellent. Outside of the brief hiccup that was the 5 (I was not a fan), Apple continues to lead their peers. They tend to lag a little on innovation, but always come in close behind with a nearly perfected design. The 6 is no exception. It is sleek, feels great in your hand and is just the right size to type effectively.

Durability is another plus for me. For all the stories about bending, you would need to put a pretty serious amount of pressure to make that happen. I have dropped the phone a few times already and there has been no issues with cracks or breakage. I am not sure if it is a result of the "Ion-strengthened glass" or good luck, but so far so good.

The new phone is noticeably faster than its predecessors. No lag, and very smooth. The camera provides a significant upgrade as well.

As for the Mobile pay function, I am not overly excited yet. I would need to see it available widely and I don't think it would replace my wallet completely until battery life becomes MUCH better. On that, the battery life is definitely improved, but it is not a massive leap.

One of the normal complaints that is becoming less and less relevant is the concerns around the lack of "hackability" for power users. More and more, my phone is a way for me to access cloud based apps and so this is becoming less of a concern. The improved security and reliability that this affords makes it all the more worthwhile.

Outside of the changes, there is still the App store with the best selection of apps out there. So all of this to day, if you are an Apple person, get the phone. If you are not, at least check the phone out.

I am a little less effusive about the iWatch and the iPhone plus, but to be fair, I have not had much time with them yet. Maybe my views will change in time, but right now, they seem to be a bit to "niche".

Anyway, I hope this helps with any impending decisions. Please weigh in if you have any comments, advice or disagreements.
SHARE

Unknown

  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment